Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Thursday, 20:14 : Eastbourne man’s cider journey - from his mum’s shed to Italy - Matt Billings @AscensionCider eastbourneherald.co.uk/business/eastb…
- Thursday, 14:49 : RT @petersgate_tap: Cider lovers, here’s our modest offering for today. The Greggs Pit and Ross ciders were collected by us yesterday all the way from Hereford!! pic.twitter.com/N3LT8xmRqI
- Thursday, 18:40 : RT @harrys_cider: Jon had a fantastic time yesterday at the @muddydorsetsom ceremony where he picked up our winners' certificate! 🏅 Congratulations again to all the winners! harryscidercompany.co.uk #HaveAHarrys #Cider #Somerset #SomersetCider #CiderLovers pic.twitter.com/Ij9bGzDsUr
- Thursday, 18:28 : RT @thornbridgetap: We’re delighted to announce that Hogan’s draught is now pouring on tap. Hogan’s Draught is an original no-nonsense cider, 100% fresh pressed too. pic.twitter.com/NJeijBeVqX
- Thursday, 18:44 : Stroud CAMRA Cider Pub of the Year is Carpenters Arms @Carps_miserden serving @Severn_Cider and @richs_cider #StroudCAMRA @GlosCAMRA stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/19584261.…