Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Saturday, 22:00 : Cider blending & maturation: Pt. 2 - a CAMRA Learn & Discover video guide Bill Bradshaw @BillBradsPhoto interviews Polly and Mat Hilton @findcider and Andrew Lea The intro is free to view - the full 40min video is free to members of @CAMRA_Official camra.org.uk/learn-discover… pic.twitter.com/vHrDlX7xI7
- Saturday, 20:38 : Wassailing - Fruit, community, and ancient ritual Gillian Hough @gillyinthepub presents a wonderful guide to the origins, celebration, and practicalities of Wassailing New free to view content on @CAMRA_Official Learn and Discover @feralfruits camra.org.uk/learn-discover… pic.twitter.com/mnZks7XuLF
- Saturday, 20:20 : The Pubs Matter Festival @MancBeerFest Online Cider and Perry Tasting Sat 20th Feb - 12 ciders/perries for £40 plus delivery - supporting @TheFontChorlton twitter.com/ManchesterCide…
- Saturday, 15:37 : Dear @SHLandlady I saw this and thought of you: tobeytimecrochet.com twitter.com/SHLandlady/sta… pic.twitter.com/a1iEmA9geW
- Friday, 21:45 : RT @TCCPAofficial: @cidercon is back & this time it's in the ether! The globe's biggest cider conference lands 3-5 February, with a packed schedule. Stars from the cider firmament cover all, from sparkling cider to successful blends, terroir & cidernomics to inclusivity. ➽ tccpa.co.uk/cidercon-2021-… pic.twitter.com/skfENVF8UN