Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Wednesday, 08:57 : "Sam wants people to get excited by cider's terroir, the orchard's soil, the apple varieties growing there, and the age of the trees." twitter.com/pelliclemag/st…
- Tuesday, 20:44 : RT @bundoh: Got to say the Hoppy Cox from @NightingaleCidr is pure joy in a can! Thanks to @CAMRA_APPLE for the recommendation.
- Tuesday, 14:28 : A selection of cider and perry 🤩 @camra aims are 'to secure the long term future of real cider and real perry by increasing their quality, availability and popularity' twitter.com/CAMRA_Official…
- Tuesday, 11:38 : RT @HogansCider: We’re racking off keeved juice today for our French Revelation blend. Photo shows classic brown cap forming on the top of the juice. Expert advice from Martin of @piltoncider whose an old hand at this technique, producing naturally fructose sweetened cider pic.twitter.com/0cYyr58ZGS
- Monday 23 November, 14:00 : RT @PubsPintsPeople: Remember to support your local pub, brewery and cider maker! 🍺🍎 You can order fresh local beer through the #Brew2You app, check-in with your local pub/bottleshop, check your local @CAMRA_Official Facebook page and check out our campaign. 👇 camra.org.uk/pubs-and-clubs…