Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Saturday, 10:58 : RT @eatbigfish: A wonderful weekend read: a love letter to cider, apple trees, and doing something just for the love of it by @CiderReviewAdam cider-review.com/2021/01/30/ret…
- Saturday, 12:05 : Cider is having a renaissance and globally is the fastest growing drink sector, but Perry is the 'New Kid on the Block' A wonderful article about Perry by @helenjerome for @burumcollective Felix Nash @FineCider : "perry....... people don’t know about it, so it’s a blank slate” twitter.com/burumcollectiv…
- Saturday, 09:39 : RT @welsh_cider: Apple of the day today is Frederick ! pic.twitter.com/OoIspUB8kR
- Friday, 17:39 : RT @CaledonianCider: The North is coming! twitter.com/CraftyNectar/s…
- Friday, 17:43 : RT @FineCider: GREAT NEWS: Save the date 🗓 🍾 The Cider Salon, Bristol, will now be held on Sat 14 August 2021. 🍾 The UK’s definitive fine cider tasting event returns with more: - More Space: across two floors of the Trinity Centre (so plenty of space whatever t… ift.tt/3wBfKho pic.twitter.com/lbcFUpW0xz