Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Saturday, 11:12 : RT @reclaimtheapple: @CAMRA_APPLE @HerefordCAMRA herefordcitycouncil.gov.uk/hereford-apple…
- Saturday, 10:00 : RT @TelegraphFood: @SusyAtkins picks five of the best English ciders to drink this summer 👇 telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink…
- Wednesday, 19:08 : RT @RossCider: Really cool article! Was so good to meet Camilla at the farm a few weeks ago. Even though we have been making cider on the farm for nearly forty years, every year we learn so much more and try new things. That exploration with apples and pears is what makes cider so rewarding!! twitter.com/Cider_Review/s…
- Saturday, 06:30 : RT @Cider_Review: Brettanomyces? Gose? An intriguing new release from @HogansCider has our beer senses tingling, so @Adam_HWells calls @hsmithdrinks for a proper @burumcollective-style Compound Drinking 101. (Also includes two bonus tasting notes). cider-review.com/2022/08/13/bee…
- Saturday, 10:02 : RT @HogansCider: A great write up of Gose Against the Grain and a fascinating conversation with Adam & Helen on Brettanomyces and Gose! Thanks so much for your thoughts 😊 twitter.com/cider_review/s…