Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Monday, 16:04 : RT @pelliclemag: Just finished putting the final touches to this weeks profile of @LittlePomona, written and photographed by @niccipeet. It's a real good'un if we say so ourselves, and it'll be online Wednesday.
- Monday, 06:45 : RT @oliverscider: Staycation drinks: a tour of British tipples | David Williams theguardian.com/food/2020/aug/…
- Monday, 10:43 : RT @SchoolofBooze: British Food & Drink Fortnight from @LoveBritishFood starts Sept 19th. I am drinks ambassador so pls get in touch if you are produce drinks & want to be a member & receive lots of lovely benefits as well as earning massive karma for supporting the campaign. No-Low welcome too! pic.twitter.com/lw9ZMLaAyO
- Monday, 09:30 : RT @CAMRA_Official: The foreword for the Good Beer Guide 2021 has been written by the fantastic @ChefTomKerridge! You can preorder your copy now: ow.ly/FFYZ50ANbOr Read all about it 👉 ow.ly/16RH50AOR1t pic.twitter.com/rlRlssVrDs
- Friday, 19:35 : RT @robsfarm67: New #Kent #cider launch tomorrow at @WyeFarmersMkt #craftcider come and find us for a taster between 9am and midday. @CAMRA_APPLE @theciderologist @cider_women @TheCiderBlog pic.twitter.com/dRs4Gcjd1q