Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Sunday, 11:56 : RT @HeaEngOrgGrp: Fruit Tree Pests and Beneficials Zoominar with Andrew Howard of the (UK) Heritage Fruit Tree Company on Monday 17th May, 7:30pm To join us, contact @HeaEngOrgGrp via rps.gn.apc.org/organic/currpr… pic.twitter.com/Q4m3hfBnHM
- Sunday, 11:38 : RT @ArtistrawCider: Exciting news! Tune into Countryfile this evening (6pm, BBC1) to catch Tom talking to @joe_crowley about the citizen science project, he and a team of other amazing, dedicated locals set up last year to combat river pollution. pic.twitter.com/HZUQGOaUdp
- Wednesday 5 May, 08:58 : RT @HeritagePubs: #Volunteers Needed. To help maintain our Pub Heritage and the Outstanding Conversions and Restorations (OCR) websites. Are you able to take photographs for our database? No IT experience needed and training is available. If interested contact Andy Shaw firstname.lastname@example.org. #pubs pic.twitter.com/jbHzee77An
- Sunday, 09:49 : RT @beertoday: A new book published by the Campaign for Real Ale will examine how the past two decades have shaped the British beer scene. beertoday.co.uk/modern-british… #beer #brewing #Britain @CAMRA_Official @totalcurtis pic.twitter.com/OtmJnRPJmy
- Sunday, 11:29 : May 24 on our #CiderMonth Timeline: Join @LittlePomona Orchard & Cidery are ‘Some like it Still’ tasting at 7pm. They will be talking through the stories behind the ciders, the orchards and the harvests as they take you on a journey, from bud to glass Order today before 6pm twitter.com/LittlePomona/s…