Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Thursday, 11:40 : RT @BlueBarrelCider: We'll never forget our first @CAMRA_Official comp at the Nottingham Beer and Cider festival: bluebarrelcider.com/changing-times/ #throwbackthursday #nottingham #realcider #feelingnostalgic pic.twitter.com/65UHS4xMKW
- Friday, 14:05 : RT @SheppysCider: 43 days and counting until #sheppyfest21. Don't miss out on seeing @SethLakemanNews and guest band @tankusthehenge plus many others at this family friendly music and cider festival. Book your tickets here: sheppyscider.com/sheppyfest/ pic.twitter.com/pCFsPKNaTC
- Friday, 14:16 : RT @feralfruits: Check out @Shinybiscuit’s fab new drinkers guides to beer faults and returning off beer now on #LearnAndDiscover for Beginners & Enthusiasts. + lush new illustrations by Lucie Cooke instagram.com/luciecookedesi… twitter.com/camra_official… pic.twitter.com/emSfy5v3w0
- Friday, 14:00 : RT @CAMRA_Official: Ever wondered how to identify if your pint might be off? @Shinybiscuit's new Learn & Discover (@feralfruits) guide is for you! Accompanied by Lucie Cooke's charming illustrations 🎨 Get the guides here 👇 Beginners: ow.ly/aMPr50FCcET Enthusiasts: ow.ly/Z0R450FCcES pic.twitter.com/wW5d1f08qg
- Friday, 10:52 : RT @CotsLifeEditor: Cider I up. @GwatkinCider pic.twitter.com/ro7Z3O076t