Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Tuesday, 09:01 : West Berkshire cider updates Check details of local beer and cider collection and delivery westberkscamra.org.uk/beer-cider-for… twitter.com/UllageBeer/sta…
- Tuesday, 08:54 : RT @welsh_cider: Apple of the day today is - Ball's Bittersweet pic.twitter.com/KjvT2rjQyG
- Tuesday, 07:15 : RT @NACMCiderMakers: Looking for ways to support the cider industry? There are plenty of independent cider makers offering a delivery service to your door! • • • #cider #ciderdrinker #cidergram #cidermaker #ukcidermakers #ciderlovers #ukcider #ciders #ciderdelivery #delivery pic.twitter.com/Fp2RHBH85a
- Tuesday, 08:03 : RT @Juice_Cider: Grim lock-down reality & big impact! From a seller: Cardboard boxes. In Jan 2021 a 5-9% price increase was issued to the market. Last week another 7-9% increase was issued across the industry. Expecting in April a further 7% will be sought. Availability has long lead times!
- Monday, 14:58 : RT @ourdoreen: As spring approaches, this week's #LetsBeerPositive topic asks what beer and ciders you've found and loved that use flowers as an ingredient. A chamomile kölsch? An elderflower saison? A hibiscus sour? Tell us what it was and who makes it with #LetsBeerPositive in the reply.