Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Lambourn Valley Cider (Great Shefford, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Sunday 13 October, 18:25 : RT @gillyinthepub: Great Annually Cider and Perry Trip arranged by @CAMRA_Official in Devon. We visited @Huntscider who were passionate, had a hearty lunch at @YeOldeCiderBar and rounded the day off at @ThompstoneCider. Thanks to all those involved with the organisation. @CAMRA_APPLE pic.twitter.com/Nk6QIgcJ3O
- Wednesday 9 October, 12:24 : Any last cider enthusiasts wish to join the trip on Saturday, there is still time to sign up ! twitter.com/CAMRA_APPLE/st…
- Thursday 3 October, 19:37 : Apple pressing Sat 5th Oct London SE23. 13-18.00 Come and join in More info ianwhite.info/Apple_pressing… Selection of apple ready for pressing pic.twitter.com/wCXsZixDR9
- Wednesday 2 October, 10:34 : October is Cider & Perry month, there are still places on CAMRA cider trip , more details facebook.com/camracider.per…
- Tuesday 1 October, 18:42 : Cider pub of the year , presentation video facebook.com/NewUnionKendal…