Real Cider & Perry
Real Cider is a long-established traditional drink which is produced naturally from apples and is neither carbonated nor pasteurised. However Real Cider, and its close relation Perry (which is made from pears) is often difficult to find. It is unfortunate that many of the most well known ciders and perries in the UK are fizzy keg products which have been produced artificially rather than naturally.
It is well worth tracking down some real ciders and perries and more people are discovering for themselves how deliciously mellow, aromatic and intoxicating the flavours of naturally produced real cider and perry can be.
For pubs selling real cider in the area, see Local Pubs selling Real Cider or Perry.
For our Cider Pub of the Year competition, see Pub of the Year.
If you have any news, updates, corrections, or questions regarding real cider in the Reading area, please get in touch with our Cider Rep.
Local Cider and Perry makers
We have several producers of both cider and perry in the local area. In a similar vein to the LocAle initiative, Reading CAMRA promotes local ciders and perries that have been made within 25 miles of Reading. Look out for them and support your local cidermakers!:
- Ciderniks (Kintbury, Berkshire)
- Crazy Dave's Cider (Holyport, Berkshire)
- Green Shed Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Greenham Fallout (Greenham, Berkshire)
- Long Crendon Manor Cider (Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire)
- Pang Valley Cider (Cold Ash, Berkshire)
- Polecat Cider (Newbury, Berkshire)
- Tutts Clump Cider (Bradfield, Berkshire)
- Woodley Sider (Woodley, Berkshire)
Twitter / CAMRA_APPLE
- Tuesday, 17:57 : RT @HopHideout: 2/2 ...cider with a big natural sweet kick. Native yeast for spontaneous fermentation drive wildly aromatic notes; stunning (we’re also big fans of their Saison Pomme). If you’d like to read more on head to @agladman article @goodbeerhunting goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2020/2/7/… pic.twitter.com/KMsm8SsrDf
- Tuesday, 17:57 : RT @HopHideout: 1/2 In our final weekly series for #CiderSeptember we’re entranced by Polly Hilton from @findcider 🍏 Looking after forgotten fruit trees in Devon, Polly and her partner Matt invest care and attention to bring bountiful harvests back. Huxham 2019 vintage is their keeved... pic.twitter.com/P9qq6TGHXu
- Tuesday, 18:02 : Now then @DiscoverCider is there a #discovercider Twitter Hour tonight at 6.30pm? - last week your Twitter Hour was moved to Tuesday - or does it return to every Wednesday It's great that cider drinkers get a chance to chat with producers and find out more about your campaign
- Tuesday, 10:37 : RT @SchoolofBooze: Stilton paired with the spectacular 'The Wonder', an ice pear cider from the much-loved @onceuponatree twitter.com/LoveBritishFoo…
- Tuesday, 12:25 : RT @salfordbeerfest: And only 8 Cider & Perry packages left to buy! @Ashton1848 @potter_cath @restalkcider @The_Lady_Sybil #VISBF #Droolfest #DontMissOut salfordbeerfest.com/news/2020/9/26…