Welcome to Reading & Mid Berkshire CAMRA
Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion. We promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
Our next social event:
- Tutored Cider Tasting Sunday 20 October 2019 15:30 Castle Tap, Reading
Our next meeting:
- Branch AGM Saturday 16 November 2019 14:00 Griffin, Caversham
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This website will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organisation with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organisation in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / ReadingCAMRA
- Tuesday 1 October, 18:42 : Want to find out more about cider? 🍎🍏 Get yourselves down to @castle_tap next month for a free tutored cider tasting session! thecastletap.co.uk/calendar/event… pic.twitter.com/PV3a4I0HKh
- Monday 30 September, 19:14 : Our next event is our regular First Thursday Social @AlehouseReading 🍻 - all welcome! reading.camra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i… pic.twitter.com/rU3UuImvub
- Saturday 28 September, 23:24 : RT @TheAlliedArms: So we didn't win but congratulations to @foxhoundstheale who did, commiserations to @ThegreyfriarRDG and @GuineasThree! Maybe next year! #rdg#rdgukpub#rdguk#readingretailawards#readingretail @ Hilton Reading instagram.com/p/B2-LcwcgiQ2/…
- Saturday 28 September, 19:20 : RT @castle_tap: It's nearly October & we want a big shout out for other local indies. Next week our monthly Collab with @MRefillables kicks off, the week after we are looking forward to Indie Eats with @indierdg & friends!
- Tuesday 24 September, 09:22 : We have some slots available for anyone to join us for our tutored beer tasting evening tomorrow night, £5 for anyone, free for any CAMRA member who joined since 1st June 2018. forms.gle/m2KnwCWHqhAf3A…
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Saturday, 09:17 : Get down to the @DBBrewery tap room from 2pm today for all sorts of delicious Malaysian street food! #beer #streetfood #rdguk twitter.com/makanmalaysiau…
- Friday, 12:20 : RT @CAMRA_Official: Happy #FunFactFriday - during October, our facts will be related to #cider and #perry! #CiderMonth 🍎🍐 What do you think of this one? 🥂 👉 ow.ly/JLDA50rrTZy pic.twitter.com/UgxVBGcHns
- Friday, 15:20 : RT @SirenCraftBrew: PHOTOSHOP CHALLENGE! We want to see your favourite beers as classic album covers... Expertly good, or hilariously bad, our favourite ones will get sent discount and/or free shipping codes! For some inspiration, grab a calypso: sirencraftbrew.com/calypso pic.twitter.com/jygioqY56P
- Friday, 08:54 : #BeerReads: @QuaffableRdg reviews The Queen's Head, a.k.a. 'The Nob' to many a Reading uni student. #beer #rdguk #rdgpubs #pubreview twitter.com/QuaffableRdg/s…
- Wednesday, 13:12 : RT @NagsHeadReading: This Saturday we will be open from 8am for the quarter finals of the rugby world cup featuring: 08:15 England vs Australia 11:15 New Zealand vs Ireland With breakfasts served 8am - 1pm thenagsheadreading.co.uk/events/ pic.twitter.com/QOz5BdxoaR
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Saturday, 12:05 : CAMRA Young Members! Check out these upcoming events: 1️⃣ Young Members Forum, 26 Oct, Nomadic Beers Taproom, Leeds 2️⃣ Young Members National Campaigning Social, 2 Nov, Bristol, visiting some of the city's breweries & award-winning pubs More info👉 ow.ly/WE5450wOD80 pic.twitter.com/XtSuUnVX1D
- Saturday, 10:00 : Looking for a #CiderMonth event to attend today? There are plenty listed on our website, including the @BoltonCAMRA Cider Trail, the @MCRCentralCamra Cider Crawl, and @CAMRAKernow’s Apple Picking Adventures! 🍎 Find an event near you! ➡️ ow.ly/v5RM50wOHmV
- Friday, 15:04 : RT @feralfruits: Great response today to the @BossBrewingCo tastings @GWBCF @CAMRA_Official #LearningAndDiscovery pic.twitter.com/EI927DWmdW
- Friday, 12:20 : Happy #FunFactFriday - during October, our facts will be related to #cider and #perry! #CiderMonth 🍎🍐 What do you think of this one? 🥂 👉 ow.ly/JLDA50rrTZy pic.twitter.com/UgxVBGcHns
- Thursday, 18:08 : RT @wilesaboutbeer: I’m at @LittlePomona orchard learning all about cider making for @CAMRA_Official #cidermonth! 🍏🍎 pic.twitter.com/hFkfEMSJP9
Twitter / camrabooks
- Thursday 12 September, 09:34 : RT @LittleEarthBeer: This is great stuff by @fermentradio in this years @CAMRA_Official Good Beer Guide, but that cocoa nib Belgian-style sour sounds disgusting! Who’d brew that!?! twitter.com/fermentradio/s…
- Monday 2 September, 13:08 : RT @VesselPlymouth: September is an exciting month for events, starting with @NorthBrewCo Ute beer launch next Friday, @cloudwaterbrew meet the brewer, the launch of 2019 Rainbow Project on taps, finishing with our annual Oktoberfest celebrations with three official Oktoberfest beers on tap pic.twitter.com/Joo6WPs8Gz
- Friday 23 August, 11:29 : #goodbeerguide2020 - we would love to hear of any success stories or planned events for this year's Good Beer Guide. Here is a happy entry from last year! pic.twitter.com/JJ5KKFoxy0
- Friday 23 August, 11:20 : Not long now until we find out this year's entries into the UK's best-selling guide on real-ale pubs! pic.twitter.com/rcah6f32xZ
- Tuesday 9 July, 10:02 : RT @jamesdowdeswell: Thanks Andrew. That’s very kind. twitter.com/Irr_Orbit/stat…