South Oxon Pub Crawl of Caversham
CAMRA S.Oxon - Caversham Pub Crawl – Saturday 18th August – 12.30pm
A short circular tour of six pubs in Caversham. Easy to get to from Reading station – North exit. Approx one hour in each pub, finishing at Fox and Hounds at about 5.30pm. From there a walk through Christchurch Meadows and over the new Christchurch cycle and footbridge will get you back to the station.
1. Moderation – 213 Caversham Road. Owned by local Reading pubs group Star, smart popular pub, with 4 changing real ales from independents. Fusion food with Thai influence.
2. Crown – 3 Bridge Street. Completely refurbished in 2017, modern décor, some exposed brickwork. Owned by Bermondsey Pub Co. At least 3 real ales, often including London Pride, Doom Bar. Good for burgers, sausages and hot dogs!
3. Griffin – 10/12 Church Street. GBG 2018 entry. Chef and Brewer house, popular and spacious pub, serving good ales and food. 6 beers on hand pump, inc Brains Rev James, and often local independents such as Loddon.
4. Baron Cadogan – 22-24 Prospect Street. Wetherspoons pub with around 6 ales on hand pump. Abbott and Ruddles County often feature, but other 4 changing beers usually include LocAle independents.
5. Prince of Wales – 76 Prospect Street. Brakspear Pub Co, with 3 ales, including Braks Bitter, Ringwood Boondoggle and a changing beer from the Marstons list. Well-kept pub, but with sports screens. Freshly made pizzas from their stone-bake oven and paninis feature on the food front.
6. Fox and Hounds – 51 Gosbrook Road GBG 2018 entry. Regularly a runner-up, and recently for two years running, the winner, of Reading Branch’s Pub of the Year. Popular and lively community pub. 8 regularly changing ales and 6 or more ciders and perries. Ales often include Oakham, Dark Star and Surrey Hills. Recently undergone a major refurbishment to a more contemporary style. Has a unique place in the Beatles history (see blue plaque outside).